DJI Mavic 2 Zoom - Internal sensors

fotomensch

DJI Mavic 2 Zoom - Internal sensors

Post by fotomensch » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:46 am

Hi everyone

(sorry if this is maybe the wrong subforum - pls move this thread if needed)

in the documentation of DH i find, that the internal sensors of my drone are not touched by DH. It all depends on DJI's SDK. So i have my sensors on all the time for safety reasons. However when i made a pre-programmed flight with DH and my DJI Mavic 2 Zoom the other day my drone flew right into a building (still flies - no damage to the building - no worries).
what i wonder now is why the internal proximity sensors of my drone did not stop it from crashing. is there anyone here who can tell me what happened or what i did wrong and hopefully how i can prevent this from happening in the future again?

any help would be appreciated
kind regards from germany

Jörg

Martin

Re: DJI Mavic 2 Zoom - Internal sensors

Post by Martin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:17 pm

fotomensch wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:46 am
Hi everyone

(sorry if this is maybe the wrong subforum - pls move this thread if needed)

in the documentation of DH i find, that the internal sensors of my drone are not touched by DH. It all depends on DJI's SDK. So i have my sensors on all the time for safety reasons. However when i made a pre-programmed flight with DH and my DJI Mavic 2 Zoom the other day my drone flew right into a building (still flies - no damage to the building - no worries).
what i wonder now is why the internal proximity sensors of my drone did not stop it from crashing. is there anyone here who can tell me what happened or what i did wrong and hopefully how i can prevent this from happening in the future again?

any help would be appreciated
kind regards from germany

Jörg
Hi Jörg,

Indeed, DH does not touch any of the DJI obstacle avoidance / behavior settings of DJI drones. These settings you can (and should) only access in DJI's own software (which is DJI go 4 for your Mavic 2 Zoom).

For now I suggest you take the following precautions:
a) Check in DJI go 4 the obstacle detection & avoidance & behavior settings of your drone. Are they all to your liking?
b) Make sure that you only fly in a DJI approved sensing environment according to their specification (up to date version available at their website):
c) Maybe make a safety test to make sure the hardware sensors work properly, by flying at rather low speed an automated mission that would crash the drone into a wall. But be ready to take over manually!!!

In conclusion:

Drone Harmony does not influence / affect DJI's local obstacle detection and avoidance. It is a black box system for us.
This black box system provided by DJI is not 100% fault proof, the sensors work only in certain conditions etc. as layed out by the DJI specification.
The user can disable, affect the black box system by manipulating the settings in DJI Go4. So make sure they are set properly before you fly.

Best;
Martin

fotomensch

Re: DJI Mavic 2 Zoom - Internal sensors

Post by fotomensch » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:18 am

Hi Martin, thanks for your reply :)
a) Check in DJI go 4 the obstacle detection & avoidance & behavior settings of your drone. Are they all to your liking?
as i wrote in my original post i had and have it turned on always on maximum settings
b) Make sure that you only fly in a DJI approved sensing environment according to their specification
i think i did this. at least i dont see any reason that speaks against it
c) Maybe make a safety test to make sure the hardware sensors work properly, by flying at rather low speed an automated mission that would crash the drone into a wall. But be ready to take over manually!!!
i actually did that as well already and what ever settings i use the sensors appear to be turned off. maybe its a problem with a recent firmware update? i run the latest firmware.

i fount out one more thing when i checked my flight log and the project again. i had set a different starting point than where i actually started from. so that explains why my drone didnt fly straight up but went diagonal from the real starting point at 0m to the defined one at 30m height. that is how it flew against the wall. however that is not turning on the sensors.

however i learned my lesson and will make sure always that its safe to fly. rotor protectors are a help as well - at least a bit.
i hope my issues will be solved in future releases of all the involved software.
anyway - thanks again for the support :)

Return to “Mavic 2 Zoom”