Negitive Waypoints after 'smooth plan' done

Did you see a mistake? Have you experienced an issue? Please tell us, so we can fix it.
dmklein

Negitive Waypoints after 'smooth plan' done

Post by dmklein » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:39 pm

Made a flight path over the Ohio river along a local Park, Initially set the height at 12 feet (3.65 meters), but then I realized the 12 feet height would be from the take off point - Not the river which was several feet below the path. Changed the waypoint height to 6 Feet.
As I was basically playing around at this point - I hit the smooth path.
Significantly rounded my turns, But also went in to a Negative height on the path. As low as -54 feet.
I'm guessing that this is because I set the take off to 40 feet - plan was to fly around trees on the bank @ 60' then dip to near path level along the bank as I flew down stream & returned. Along with the 'left-right' turns being 'smoothed', the 'up-down' turns were also smoothed- resulting in the Negative altitude.
Didn't notice this until after I took off. Fortunately the bottom avoidance sensors saw the river & stayed clear. (Mavic Pro), but the drone just hovered as it could not complete the path.
Looked at the 3D display afterwords - Clearly shows the path going below the take off level (i.e. under water.)
As I mentioned - there are times I wound like this negative Altitude, Just not over water!( - or into the ground for that matter.)

Martin

Re: Negitive Waypoints after 'smooth plan' done

Post by Martin » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:59 am

dmklein wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:39 pm
Made a flight path over the Ohio river along a local Park, Initially set the height at 12 feet (3.65 meters), but then I realized the 12 feet height would be from the take off point - Not the river which was several feet below the path. Changed the waypoint height to 6 Feet.
As I was basically playing around at this point - I hit the smooth path.
Significantly rounded my turns, But also went in to a Negative height on the path. As low as -54 feet.
I'm guessing that this is because I set the take off to 40 feet - plan was to fly around trees on the bank @ 60' then dip to near path level along the bank as I flew down stream & returned. Along with the 'left-right' turns being 'smoothed', the 'up-down' turns were also smoothed- resulting in the Negative altitude.
Didn't notice this until after I took off. Fortunately the bottom avoidance sensors saw the river & stayed clear. (Mavic Pro), but the drone just hovered as it could not complete the path.
Looked at the 3D display afterwords - Clearly shows the path going below the take off level (i.e. under water.)
As I mentioned - there are times I wound like this negative Altitude, Just not over water!( - or into the ground for that matter.)
Hello dmklein,

Thank you for reporting this. The smoothing can lead to changes in altitude in waypoints and if you are close to the ground it can currently smooth it close or even "into" the ground, something we have not tested ourselves as we do not fly this close to the ground. This is safety issue and thus we correct this with the next update.

Best regards,
Martin

Return to “Bug Reports”