Mission upload

Friedlin

Mission upload

Post by Friedlin » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:13 pm

Can somebody (maybe) of the developer team confirm the following or present a correction:
When I define a mission a series ob coordinate triplets x/y/z is generated. Judged from the behavior of the drone I suppose that the first waypoint is seeked through the coordinate triplet by gps, however for the remaining waypoints the distances x2-x1/y2-y1/z2-z1 are loaded to and interpreted by the drone. I suppose this from the behavior at the start and after loss of gps.
Can somebody argue on this?
Thank you

Martin

Re: Mission upload

Post by Martin » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:22 pm

Friedlin wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:13 pm
Can somebody (maybe) of the developer team confirm the following or present a correction:
When I define a mission a series ob coordinate triplets x/y/z is generated. Judged from the behavior of the drone I suppose that the first waypoint is seeked through the coordinate triplet by gps, however for the remaining waypoints the distances x2-x1/y2-y1/z2-z1 are loaded to and interpreted by the drone. I suppose this from the behavior at the start and after loss of gps.
Can somebody argue on this?
Thank you
Hello Friedlin,

A mission is a sequenced list of (absolute) GPS waypoints which will be transmitted in batches of 99 waypoints to the drone at the beginning (or sometimes in between) of the flight. In case of loss of GPS signal, the drone can not continue an automated mission as it has no way of positioning itself precisely anymore. Instead the drone will drop into ATTI flight mode and the pilot is in full manual control of the drone. The drone will not continue automated mission!

Best regards,
DH Team

Friedlin

Post by Friedlin » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:46 pm

Thank you Martin and sorry for my late reply. I'm a bit surprised by your answer. Would it not be much more safe not to use absolute gps data and being dependent on functional gps during the whole mission but to precalculate flight actions in the sense of a list as e.g.
20 deg. left / 50 m ahead / 5 m up from waypoint to waypoint
I suppose from start to waypoint 1 the situation still would need gps data but this is at the first few meters after mission start, where it's normally less a problem to get the drone back
Thabk you for your answer
Friedlin

Martin

Post by Martin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:04 pm

Friedlin wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:46 pm
Thank you Martin and sorry for my late reply. I'm a bit surprised by your answer. Would it not be much more safe not to use absolute gps data and being dependent on functional gps during the whole mission but to precalculate flight actions in the sense of a list as e.g.
20 deg. left / 50 m ahead / 5 m up from waypoint to waypoint
I suppose from start to waypoint 1 the situation still would need gps data but this is at the first few meters after mission start, where it's normally less a problem to get the drone back
Thabk you for your answer
Friedlin
Relative movement would be great, if the drone would be capable of knowing how it is moving in space without having to rely on GPS. DJI currently does not have a position estimation technology deployed in their drones that would allow them to do this precisely enough. It ATTI mode some vision sensors, barometer and IMU are trying to figure this out, but it is not enough.

You might have heard about SkyDio 2, they have started to deploy such technology which allows them to understand in close proximity where the drone is located and how it is moving in space. This is also exciting for us, as we think that automated waypoint based missions will be possible soon without having to rely on GPS.

We are curious to see if DJI picks up similar technology moving forward.

Best regards,
Martin

Return to “Flight Planning & Execution”