Lost Spark using DH

MurrayPienaar

Lost Spark using DH

Post by MurrayPienaar » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:17 pm

Today I lost my Spark while flying a mission using DH.
I have been using the trial version for the past month.

Was happy with the results and purchased the basic version yesterday.

I flew 4 missions since the purchase and all were a disaster.
1st 2 drone would fly off and not follow plan just hover a few 100m away then come back.
3rd one it completed half of mission then veered off again and returned.
Saw error message on app to effect that it was unable to update libraries.
I thought I found the problem and cleared the cache on my phone and DH said libraries were updated.

Took it on another mission. It flew off again +- 450m.
This time I pressed the RTH button on controller, but it had no effect.
Drone was facing away from me so I tried to turn it around, then I lost signal.
That was the last contact I had with it.
See flight log and last drone poition I got from app.
The flight log makes no sense. It flew away much further than the 28m and 31s indicated while I had contact - could see video on phone screen.
The distance from takeoff point to last drone position is 1.1km which also does not make sense to me.
It was hovering 400-500m away from me for at least 4 minutes before I lost contact, why would it fly away from me when it lost contact?

I can't seem to attache flight log. Get this error message: Invalid file extension: 2019-08-15_14-26-19_14-27.txt

Last drone position:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/25%C2 ... d28.398068

I would just like to understand what went wrong.

Martin

Re: Lost Spark using DH

Post by Martin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:48 pm

Dear MurrayPienaar,

From the provided Drone Harmony log file we could only find two notable things:
  • The home distance remained < 28 meters and the altitude remained < 50 meters.
  • The signal link strength (up and down link) quality dropped from 100% to 50%.
There is no indication on any failure, although signal link quality should be usually much better at that distance. Drone Harmony continues to write a log file as long as the drone is executing an autonomous mission and a signal connection to the drone is maintained. To understand what did go wrong, we need to look at the DJI Log files:

These log files are stored on your mobile device under:

Code: Select all

\DJI\com.droneharmony.planner\FlightLogs\ 
Please send us the logfiles from all the four flights to support at droneharmony.com so we can investigate further. From the description of the observed behavior on all your 4 missions, we suspect a connection issue. The DJI Logfiles will hopefully tell us more. Also did you stay in programmed mission mode (P mode)? Or did you switch at any point to another flight mode? Switching to Sports mode will stop the execution of the autonomous mission.

Regarding library updates: We do not have any library update messages, but there is a message concerning the successful (or unsuccessful) registration of the DJI SDK libraries when starting the application.

Regarding RTH: Drone Harmony has no influence on the DJI RTH functionality. The DJI RTH functionality should work as long as the drone has a connection with the RC, even in ATTI flight mode. We always recommend to take over manual control of the drone by switching the flight mode out of "P" if the drone is behaving unexpectedly or if there are obstacles, birds or manned aircraft nearby.
The flight log makes no sense. It flew away much further than the 28m and 31s indicated while I had contact - could see video on phone screen.
The distance from takeoff point to last drone position is 1.1km which also does not make sense to me.
It was hovering 400-500m away from me for at least 4 minutes before I lost contact, why would it fly away from me when it lost contact?
The Drone Harmony flight log is only recorded during the execution of an autonomous mission and while having a connection to the drone. It seems like the drone dropped out of the autonomous mission execution at 28m distance (thereby stopping the Drone Harmony logging), flew to the 400-500m away point and staying there for a while, then losing contact and finally flying away.

The last known drone position in Drone Harmony is recorded independently of the log file. Even when flying manually Drone Harmony keeps a record of the last known drone position received by telemetry data. In your case, it seems like the drone was 1.1km away when we got the last telemetry information on the drone location.

To understand what happened exactly from the point your drone was 28m away we need to look at the DJI log files.

Best regards,
Martin

mpienaar

Re: Lost Spark using DH

Post by mpienaar » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:01 pm

Thanks for the response.
I could not find the flight logs you refer to on my phone.
I uploaded the entire directory for you to look at and sent the link by email. Perhaps you will find them.
The flights I referred to were on 14 and 15 August. Somehow the latest records in the directory are 8 Aug.
I did clear the App's cache on 15 Aug before the final flight, don't know if the 3 prior flights were deleted then.
Still the final flight should be there, but I can't find it. It also does not make sense that flights up to 8 Aug are still there.

I would like to know if anything might have changed as far as the app is concerned when I bought and was updated the basic version of the app.
I did notice that it had less functionality than the trial version. Could it be that some essential functions were lost in the process rendering previous flight plans inoperable.
I would like to use the app with my DJI mavic pro2, but am worried that the same thing will happen.

Return to “Flight Planning & Execution”