Planning a Photo Flight in Google Earth

nc3d

Planning a Photo Flight in Google Earth

Post by nc3d » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:58 am

Hi,
I'm looking for the easiest way to convert views set as Google Earth placemarks to DH waypoints and POIs. I guess I can convert the placemarks to lines and import them as waypoints and then reconstruct my POIs. Google Earth has a strange way of storing POIs - it's a ray from the waypoint, not a point. It would be a fantastic planning tool for us if we could convert placemarks with view snapshots to waypoints with POIs in software.
Thanks!
-Donald

nc3d

Re: Planning a Photo Flight in Google Earth

Post by nc3d » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:23 pm

Hmm... since a Google Earth line has a fixed elevation or relative offset to the ground, is there no way to import a path or waypoints with different altitudes?
-Donald

Martin

Re: Planning a Photo Flight in Google Earth

Post by Martin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:44 am

nc3d wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:58 am
Hi,
I'm looking for the easiest way to convert views set as Google Earth placemarks to DH waypoints and POIs. I guess I can convert the placemarks to lines and import them as waypoints and then reconstruct my POIs. Google Earth has a strange way of storing POIs - it's a ray from the waypoint, not a point. It would be a fantastic planning tool for us if we could convert placemarks with view snapshots to waypoints with POIs in software.
Thanks!
-Donald
Hi Donald,
As of now Drone Harmony supports import of KML files. KML is a file format used to display geographic data in an Earth browser such as Google Earth. Using KML import you can import flight plan waypoints, but not POIs and no camera gimbal angles yet. We acknowledge the importance of being able to plan easily your flights on your desktop, or even using Google Earth Pro. Providing a web based Drone Harmony planning interface is in our development pipeline and we will consider making the interfacing with Google Earth easier as well.

nc3d wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:23 pm
Hmm... since a Google Earth line has a fixed elevation or relative offset to the ground, is there no way to import a path or waypoints with different altitudes?
-Donald
This is possible using the the KML Import functionality (Menu -> Import & Export -> Line as a mission).

Best regards,
Martin

Return to “Flight Planning & Execution”