Maps without 3G connexion

Etiennedobrasil

Maps without 3G connexion

Post by Etiennedobrasil » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:11 pm

Hi there,

I use drone harmony on my android phone.
I would like to use my Mavic + drone harmony abroad where I will have no internet connexion. Will the app still load and display maps correctly, even without 3G and internet?
Can the app work offline, through GPS connexion?

Thanks!

Martin

Re: Maps without 3G connexion

Post by Martin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:35 am

Etiennedobrasil wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:11 pm
I would like to use my Mavic + drone harmony abroad where I will have no internet connexion. Will the app still load and display maps correctly, even without 3G and internet?
Can the app work offline, through GPS connexion?
Hi Etienne,

The GPS technology is only for positioning and does not provide any map data.

Drone Harmony currently relies on google maps (through their APIs). Google maps usually require internet connection, but google does some internal caching of maps for offline use. But unfortunately, Google does not allow 3rd party applications to cache maps in bulk offline. So Drone Harmony currently has no control over the caching. From our own experience it is enough to load (="zoom to in Drone Harmony") the location you want to fly at one day before you go there. Google will then cache the maps and you will have them on site available to you offline on your device.

In the future we will look at other map providers and added possibilities for offline caching.

Hope that helps,
Martin

Return to “Flight Planning & Execution”