Manual WPs does NOT support Terrain-Aware Surveys

Maker

Manual WPs does NOT support Terrain-Aware Surveys

Post by Maker » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:15 am

Hello!

I have successfully imported my terrain data, but it looks like Manual WPs does not follow the terrain.

How can I create a mission following a constant height above my terrain?

Martin

Re: Manual WPs does NOT support Terrain-Aware Surveys

Post by Martin » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:08 pm

Maker wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:15 am
Hello!

I have successfully imported my terrain data, but it looks like Manual WPs does not follow the terrain.

How can I create a mission following a constant height above my terrain?
Hello Maker,

You are correct. Currently only the plan terrain-aware top down supports working with terrain data. What you suggest is a good idea - we will consider adding a manual terrain wp mission.

Best regards,
DH Team

Maker

Post by Maker » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Hello DH Team!

I managed to use Global Mapper and a text editor to generate KML file that I imported as "Line as Mission" that followed my terrain. It is a workaround, but at least the mission looks like it is what I need. I will get back once I fly it.

I could not find any settings to make my drone "hover for x seconds" at certain waypoint. So I am going to PAUSE the mission, but I'm concerned if DH would also pause the video recording...

Regards,
Maker

Martin

Post by Martin » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Currently there is no option to add hovering for x seconds at waypoints. The DJI sdk is quite restrictive in that area.

Unfortunately for you, our pause mission button does also pause the video. But you could use it and manually resume the video recording by pressing the record video button on your remote controller. Not ideal, but might be enough for your goals.

Maker

Post by Maker » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:44 am

Dear DH Team,

Thank you for your response.

How fast will Mavic Pro fly from 1 waypoint to another?

Martin

Post by Martin » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:28 am

Maker wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:44 am
Dear DH Team,

Thank you for your response.

How fast will Mavic Pro fly from 1 waypoint to another?
You can chose the mission speed during launch dialog of the mission. DJI will try to keep that speed during the whole mission.

You will be able to manually adjust the speed during the flight using the remote controller stick (accelerate or decelerate/move backwards). In addition, you can also use the GUI speed slider (click on tachometer on the left that should appear once the autonomous mission started).

Maker

Post by Maker » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:20 pm

Martin wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:28 am
You can chose the mission speed during launch dialog of the mission. DJI will try to keep that speed during the whole mission.

You will be able to manually adjust the speed during the flight using the remote controller stick (accelerate or decelerate/move backwards). In addition, you can also use the GUI speed slider (click on tachometer on the left that should appear once the autonomous mission started).
What is the SLOWEST and FASTEST speed between points that DH supports?

Martin

Post by Martin » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:34 pm

Maker wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:20 pm
What is the SLOWEST and FASTEST speed between points that DH supports?
The DJI software libraries allow for an automated mission flight speed in the range of [-15 m/s, +15 m/s]. However, some of their drones only accept up to 14 m/s. Thus "SLOWEST" can actually be 0 m/s or close to 0. Also note that this is only a targeted mission speed for the DJI on board motor controls. For example if the drone has to fly upwards the physical limitations of the drone to fly upwards is much lower than 15 m/s.

Note that the user can also override / adjust the speed during the execution of the mission in two ways:
  1. Use the remote controller stick to temporarily adjust the speed: (push forward accelerate, push backward decelerate or even move backwards on mission trajectory). Once the stick is released, the drone goes back to user chosen mission speed during launch
  2. Use the tachometer icon button on the left of the 2D map view that appears during execution of automated missions to adjust the mission speed inside the app.

Maker

Post by Maker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:04 pm

Dear Martin,

When the mission is paused, can I take control of the drone and fly it ANYWAY I want?
Will resuming the mission afterwards make the drone fly from its current location to the first waypoint that was "unreached" before the pause?

Consider the following scenario:

1) Mission Launched
2) 200m altitude reached
3) Heading to Waypoint 1
4) Waypoint 1 reached
5) Mission Paused
6) Drone flown away from the mission course
7) Mission Resumed
8) [please continue what would happen?]

Regards,
Maker

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:55 am

Maker wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:04 pm
When the mission is paused, can I take control of the drone and fly it ANYWAY I want?
No. In Mission Pause state DJI still limits the control the user has over the drone. Basically imaging the drone being on a zip line. The Mission defines where the line goes, but you can control the movement along the line (forward and backward).

To gain full control you can switch the flight mode out of "P" (mission mode), but in doing that the current mission will be wiped from the memory of the drone (you will not be able to resume it afterwards).
Maker wrote:
Will resuming the mission afterwards make the drone fly from its current location to the first waypoint that was "unreached" before the pause?
We offer you a choice on what happens in this case (see below)
Maker wrote:
Consider the following scenario:

1) Mission Launched
2) 200m altitude reached
3) Heading to Waypoint 1
4) Waypoint 1 reached
5) Mission Paused
6) {Drone flown away from the mission course} Drone flown along the mission zip line
7) Mission Resumed
8) [please continue what would happen?]
You will be offered a choice:
  • Resume from waypoint that is closest in distance from current drone location
  • Resume from first waypoint (restart the mission)
In addition you can chose to continue the mission with the same mission parameters (e.g. camera settings, recording mode etc.) or you can chose to alter it (e.g. switch to photo shooting instead of video taking).

Return to “Terrain-Aware Surveys”