INSPECTION : Recording GPS point in the air

Share your ideas here or even better share them on the Drone Harmony idea platform. Our dev team takes your ideas into account for shaping the dev roadmap!
flyzk

INSPECTION : Recording GPS point in the air

Post by flyzk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:41 am

by flyzk » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:07 pm
Hi,

We currently have the "Record POI" flight plan (in manual section) which allows you to record X Y Z and convert that into a POI. We are planning to extend the functionality in order to "draw" buildings with your drone. We have not yet considered it for producing data that can be used in post processing. What file format have you thought of here? And what data should be stored in there exactly?

For inspection jobs, when I detect something interesting on the ground (or anywhere), I need to record the point of that thing. At the moment, I take picture at the nadir of the object (if I can) and then I export the location of the picture to estimate the position of that "thing" I've inspected.
What I would love is to be able to record an interesting point location (GPS X Y Z) and to name or classify that thing !! If we are able to add an offset during flight (Z or even X Y) it would be really more accurate. At the end of the flight, the possibility to export that in .txt or other format.

Another idea very very helpfull would be to be able to estimate position point (or make measure...) on the terrain's surface, by clicking on the screen, and then be able to import these data in a GIS software.

This I do not understand. Can you explain a bit more? Clicking on the screen, you mean clicking on the google map or into the FPV of the camera view? Are you considering the scenario when user has terrain data imported before?

I mean, I would love to be able to use my camera view to estimate measure, distance, of a point / object. for exemple, using a tool like Active Track : by touching the liveview, selecting an object, to be able to estimate its location, distance, measure. Ideally, taking a picture and recording the name of this picture, and also export everything at the end of the flight.

Martin

Re: CS bugs

Post by Martin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:08 am
Both things are very hard to do based on just RGB camera sensors. The image processing software that create 3D models on your computer are actually doing this, understanding where each photo pixel should be in the 3D world.

Doing this "on-the-fly" is something which would require additional data (e.g. laser data, to understand how far a point is from your camera) and a lot of processing power. I do not foresee that we can suddenly can overcome magically these limits.

That being said, an annotation of a picture could be added. The GPS location, camera angle etc. is already recorded in the image EX-IF data.
The GPS location is already recorded in the image EXIF data, that's true, BUT in the case where you are doing a mission with several hundreds pictures and you need to estimate the position of a ground point, your GPS information are very difficult to find back...
That's why you should build an dedicated Inspection feature facilitating the data recording (camera angle, position etc.)
ALSO, you didn't comment my idea about add X Y or even Z GPS offset !!! that's the most important feature for me. Maybe I didn't enough argue this point but that s a very important point for me.

My customers ask me to record GPS position (X Y and also and mostly the Z) of objects they order me to inspect. I would like to be able to use the drone as I use my ground recording GPS point stuff. At the moment, I have to modelize the terrain to export GPS data.... that's not really efficient as it could be.
For me, the best way to use my drone would be to position the UAV in the air near the object I have to inspect, and then add some Offset in meters to revise the GPS data of this object. then also take an annotation, and recording the picture (in the annotation, the name of the picture is saved).

We need to use the DRONE as a GPS recording Air Tool !!!

Another idea about annotation:

At the moment, when I do several grid I need to write during the mission everything I'm doing because it facilitating (or it makes possible) the photogrammetry process.
It would be very usefull if your app include annotation after or before every single mission.
at the end of the day, I would know exactly missions I've done during the day.

another....
You said that "streaming" in another screen or app is not your priority, BUT, it would be very usefull:
* using CS (like receiver) for both second operator and customers
* use a dedicated "receiver app" for my second ground operator: he could take annotation, see the MAP or the LIVE, working in team (is also usefull for you if it helps you to get more subscriptions)
* Preparing a new mission while the first is playing whitout any risking, or make simulation of the next flight ==> it saves times and battery.

Martin

Re: INSPECTION : Recording GPS point in the air

Post by Martin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:43 pm

flyzk wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:41 am

My customers ask me to record GPS position (X Y and also and mostly the Z) of objects they order me to inspect. I would like to be able to use the drone as I use my ground recording GPS point stuff. At the moment, I have to modelize the terrain to export GPS data.... that's not really efficient as it could be.
For me, the best way to use my drone would be to position the UAV in the air near the object I have to inspect, and then add some Offset in meters to revise the GPS data of this object. then also take an annotation, and recording the picture (in the annotation, the name of the picture is saved).

We need to use the DRONE as a GPS recording Air Tool !!!
Now i could follow your line of thought. Yes, that could be done. Care to add your idea to ideas.droneharmony.com?

Another idea about annotation:
flyzk wrote:
At the moment, when I do several grid I need to write during the mission everything I'm doing because it facilitating (or it makes possible) the photogrammetry process.
It would be very usefull if your app include annotation after or before every single mission.
at the end of the day, I would know exactly missions I've done during the day.
What would the (optional) annotation contain? Just a text box?

flyzk wrote:
You said that "streaming" in another screen or app is not your priority, BUT, it would be very usefull:
* using CS (like receiver) for both second operator and customers
* use a dedicated "receiver app" for my second ground operator: he could take annotation, see the MAP or the LIVE, working in team (is also usefull for you if it helps you to get more subscriptions)
* Preparing a new mission while the first is playing whitout any risking, or make simulation of the next flight ==> it saves times and battery.
I get your points and I also see that they would be useful to you. But we have bigger fish to fry first (see ideas.droneharmony.com).

I highly recommend you to engage with your ideas on ideas.droneharmony.com. We are looking at these ideas when setting priorities for development, but we are not crawling this forum for it. So it is much more likely that your ideas will find it into a future release if you put them there (or even better if it exists already, you vote for it!).

flyzk

Re: INSPECTION : Recording GPS point in the air

Post by flyzk » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:05 am

about the Inspection tools :
The best tools for me, would be if you can assign criteria, for every annotation:
* Color
* Title
* Text / Comment
* Type (vegetation, cell tower, building, roof, animal, etc.)
* State: good/medium / bad
* % : write a %
* Customs rows (to be able to customize/add rows: criteria dependings of the need.
* GPS position + adding an GPS offset to precize the location of the inspected item
* date/hours
* Camera setting informations
* Screenshot of position of the drone in the flight log (saved in the annotation).

You could also manage the customs rows directly from account and your next feature (the web manager).
And then, add a cloud feature to send/share etc. (with webmanager) annotation, screenshot (cash of the pictures inspected and annoted) to be directly classificated in our own user data base in our account/web manager

that's for the inspection annotation tools.
hat would the (optional) annotation contain? Just a text box?
About the mission annotation tools, the aim is to write every notes and checklist that a Drone Pilote could need during a mission:
Issue, note before and after each flight to describe everything happens. nomber of pictures, cloud or sun, windy, camera setting, what are you testing, possibility to rank (xx/10) the flight, or in % , and define a state: good / bad / medium, and also a color. You could also write a title, and the flight Aim in few words

2 possibility: you can prepare at the office the mission annotation, and then adjust it on the field. or 2 kind of annotation: these one frome office, and these one from field (maybe better)

Return to “Feature Requests”