Liftoff-point to first-waypoint route politics

Share your ideas here or even better share them on the Drone Harmony idea platform. Our dev team takes your ideas into account for shaping the dev roadmap!
AttilaFarkaš

Liftoff-point to first-waypoint route politics

Post by AttilaFarkaš » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:25 am

This is more a suggestion than a feature request;
I think the Liftoff-point to First-waypoint route planning (and also the Last-waypoint to Home route) should be handled safer.
A "takeoff - climb to travel height - get to the first waypoint" seems much safer as the straight line from takeoff to first waypoint.
For the RTH path the same.

I just crashed my drone this morning, as in previous threads i believed to understand that the Liftoff point is just kind of informative point and i was expecting a behavior as in all other thirdparty apps (takeoff - climb to travel height - go to first waypoint)... (travel height = RTH height set in main settings)
Instead the drone started to fly directly to the first waypoint (which was in height of 36meters) from the zero in straight line and hit a tree just few meters from takeoff.

No damage, but freaked the hell out of me...

Martin

Re: Liftoff-point to first-waypoint route politics

Post by Martin » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:11 pm

AttilaFarkaš wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:25 am
This is more a suggestion than a feature request;
I think the Liftoff-point to First-waypoint route planning (and also the Last-waypoint to Home route) should be handled safer.
A "takeoff - climb to travel height - get to the first waypoint" seems much safer as the straight line from takeoff to first waypoint.
For the RTH path the same.

I just crashed my drone this morning, as in previous threads i believed to understand that the Liftoff point is just kind of informative point and i was expecting a behavior as in all other thirdparty apps (takeoff - climb to travel height - go to first waypoint)... (travel height = RTH height set in main settings)
Instead the drone started to fly directly to the first waypoint (which was in height of 36meters) from the zero in straight line and hit a tree just few meters from takeoff.

No damage, but freaked the hell out of me...
Hello AttilaFarkaš,

Thank you for your suggestion. We have a few flight plans that already follow your suggestion and we think that you are right, for safety reasons it's better to always climb first to the altitude of the first waypoint for any flight plan when launching from the ground.

Concerning the return to home functionality: Here the RTH altitude setting will be used, that you can conveniently adjust during the launch dialog process.

I'm sorry to hear that you had a crash! May I advise you to always make sure to check the flight plan preview to make sure you know how the travel trajectory is planned. In addition, also make sure to be ready for taking manual control (using the flight mode switch). We are always looking into making flying with Drone Harmony even safer than today, so I added your suggestion as a request to our development backlog:
https://ideas.droneharmony.com/ideas/DHPLANNER-I-240

Best regards,
Martin

Return to “Feature Requests”