99-waypoint-limitation and DJI Mavic Air

Did you see a mistake? Have you experienced an issue? Please tell us, so we can fix it.
Cuspis

99-waypoint-limitation and DJI Mavic Air

Post by Cuspis » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:57 pm

The Mavic Air accepts flight plans with more than 99 waypoints.

But the mission is interrupted (after the first 99 wp's?) and the footage is stopped. While hovering in the air, the second part of the flight plan seems to be activated and the mission is continued.

That would be fine if the footage of these two parts could be joined seamlessly afterwards.
At the moment (version 1.4) this is not possible because the drone does not continue the mission at the same piont - untfortunately there is a gap between the two parts of the whole mission that cannot be bridged by the recorded video material.

A potential solution could be to send the drone back automatically one or two waypoints (i. e. to the last two waypoints of the missions first part) before it starts the second part of the mission. Let's hope GPS is exact enough to solve this problem by this means.

Martin

Re: 99-waypoint-limitation and DJI Mavic Air

Post by Martin » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:42 pm

Cuspis wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:57 pm
Hi Cuspis,

We did not find any documentation on this higher limited for the Mavic Air provided by DJI. Our devs will look into this, if there is a higher limit provided by DJI it should be fairly easy for us to include the higher limit in Drone Harmony as well. If you can point us to a source documenting on this we would be happy to read it.
Cuspis wrote:
But the mission is interrupted (after the first 99 wp's?) and the footage is stopped. While hovering in the air, the second part of the flight plan seems to be activated and the mission is continued.

That would be fine if the footage of these two parts could be joined seamlessly afterwards.
At the moment (version 1.4) this is not possible because the drone does not continue the mission at the same piont - untfortunately there is a gap between the two parts of the whole mission that cannot be bridged by the recorded video material.

A potential solution could be to send the drone back automatically one or two waypoints (i. e. to the last two waypoints of the missions first part) before it starts the second part of the mission. Let's hope GPS is exact enough to solve this problem by this means.
Yes there is no perfect solution for this (gps inprecision, alignment etc.). We also reached out to DJI asking several times to increase (or even remove) the WP limit. If they did that now with the Mavic Air (and hopefully with more drones to come), that would be great news for all pilots out there.

Cuspis

Re: 99-waypoint-limitation and DJI Mavic Air

Post by Cuspis » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:35 pm

Cuspis wrote:
This is my experience when I uploaded a 250-waypoint-flightplan to my Mavic Air immediately before flying. The Air accepted it without any warning or refusal. But afterwards the drone behaved as I described it.

Later on I reduced the number of waypoints to 97 and then the Air performed the flight plan on the same route without any interruption.

I heard only about the limitation to 99 waypoints (but didn't read it officially) and I concluded by the behavior of my drone that this may be the truth.

DJI does not hand out any informations about such issues to normal minor users like me.

Thanks for your honest confession that there is "no perfect solution" available now.

Therefore I keep in mind: At the moment it is not a solution to choose more than 99 waypoints in order to reach smoother footages in DH!

Return to “Bug Reports”